• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: Australia vs. England [3rd Test] (25/06/2016)

Should a situation arise that someone needs to play out of position into the wing, I reckon it'll be Clifford.

It was a jokey example. Try running through a few injuries in your head and the counters, e.g. 10, 14, 15, in your head- though unlikely and very unlucky, they really **** up a 6-2 bench. Far more so than a 5-3 split- though planning for a scenario like that is pessimistic to say the least.

Toomua is the most complete 12 around.. I'm not to sure how you can think anything else, unless you haven't seen much of him in the SR the past 2-3 seasons..

England team out. Exactly the same as last week except Harrison for Haskell. Nowell still in despite concussion worries.

Now that's the bit I don't like. I think we're still being too blase about concussion. If it wasn't concussion in the first place, then say so; if it was, then being fit to play inside 1 week just seems so wrong in all forms. We know our testing isn't good enough, so we have to play it safe on top of the existing protocols, preferably whilst developing better protocols (not to mention objective ones, fMRI scans, CSF tests etc; not a fakeable Q&A).

Good to see consistency in selection. I can see the worries about a 6/2 split but you can't pick a bench based on worst case scenario. Especially when our strength is clearly in the forwards. The approach to this game has to be the same. Control tempo and territory, dominate set piece. Keep them deep in their half and encourage them to try and run it from deep. I think more ball in hand would be better, especially with no Pocock, but nothing too flash. The Aussies will be desperate to make an impression and to score tries, and will Probably become easily frustrated, giving away Pens which Faz can kick. Just gotta play the phases and turn the screw.

Now that's the bit I don't like. I think we're still being too blase about concussion. If it wasn't concussion in the first place, then say so; if it was, then being fit to play inside 1 week just seems so wrong in all forms. We know our testing isn't good enough, so we have to play it safe on top of the existing protocols, preferably whilst developing better protocols (not to mention objective ones, fMRI scans, CSF tests etc; not a fakeable Q&A).

Yeah. Really not happy about that. Its a fairly nothing game where we've got decent cover. Everytime I think the game has matured into a responsible state of being on the issue, something like this is happening.

Hopefully its lazy reporting.

Yep and Jamie Roberts has been picked for Wales despite his head clash with Fekitoa. He said that the game was a blur. Doesn't make sense that he can pass the return to game protocols within a week.

Didn't Youngs have to play wing v Scotland in 6n a bit ago.

I remember Youngs on the wing at one point but I think our backs will stay on the pitch unless injured in which case Daly covers 12 to 15 which is fine really.

I have seen Clifford cover centre for Quinn's before and he actually looked really good. Should have played there and become our 12 long term as we still don't have a realistic option at 12.

I know this has been said before, but the weird thing about Jones' 6-2 is why do it if you're not going to take advantage of a loaded forwards' bench?

Anyway, 2 poorly placed outside backs injuries and we're in trouble. Probably won't happen, but there should be an upside for running the risk, and so far in Jones' England there isn't.

I know this has been said before, but the weird thing about Jones' 6-2 is why do it if you're not going to take advantage of a loaded forwards' bench?

Anyway, 2 poorly placed outside backs injuries and we're in trouble. Probably won't happen, but there should be an upside for running the risk, and so far in Jones' England there isn't.

My guess is he thinks it gives him more options. Just because he doesn't use all 6 forwards, doesn't mean he couldn't have used each of them in particular circumstances.

FWIW I don't even really disagree with you, just imagine that's what EJ's thinking would be.

My guess is he thinks it gives him more options. Just because he doesn't use all 6 forwards, doesn't mean he couldn't have used each of them in particular circumstances.

FWIW I don't even really disagree with you, just imagine that's what EJ's thinking would be.

He barely uses any though :lol: I mean, you could well be right, just doesn't come across.

Ah well. I think to a certain extent he possibly expects less than he gets from his starting forwards. You can understand not wishing to fiddle with cohesion as well, given the games... although equally, that can be a good moment to bring on fresh legs and regain momentum. Hey ho. We'll see more moving on

So who has travelled to Australia and won't have had any game time and will be feeling mighty pished off??
Alex Goode for one. Genge another (ok, he probably wasn't expecting to play a part) Who else?

No-one.
These guys are professional sportsmen, not primary schoolers who get a rosetta for turning up.

So who has travelled to Australia and won't have had any game time and will be feeling mighty pished off??
Alex Goode for one. Genge another (ok, he probably wasn't expecting to play a part) Who else?

Slade is probably feeling robbed TBH. I would be if I was him. The others that won't haven't played this tour are Sinckler and Te'o, on top of Goode and Genge who you've already mentioned.

Slade threw away his chance with crap showings against Wales and Sarries.

Edit: This window, anyway.

Slade threw away his chance with crap showings against Wales and Sarries.

Edit: This window, anyway.

He didn't play against Wales? And 1 bad game vs Sarries shouldn't discredit the way he's been performing for the last couple of seasons.

He didn't play against Wales? And 1 bad game vs Sarries shouldn't discredit the way he's been performing for the last couple of seasons.

That's right, he was playing Sarries so couldn't have. I remember now. Utter brain fart, apologies.

Fact remains, he had a very poor game. I'd like to see him in the AIs though. They're roughly meaningless beyond rankings and we need to blood a new 12 at some point.

So Slade has had a couple of poor games - so what? He's human, isn't he? All the all-time greats will have had a couple of crap games in their build-up to international rugby and Slade undoubtedly has the potential and has to be given the chance to show what he can do in the AIs, if of course, his club form is good early in the season.
You bet he'll be pished of not to have got on the pitch in Oz!