• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: Australia vs. England [3rd Test] (25/06/2016)

So Slade has had a couple of poor games - so what? He's human, isn't he? All the all-time greats will have had a couple of crap games in their build-up to international rugby and Slade undoubtedly has the potential and has to be given the chance to show what he can do in the AIs, if of course, his club form is good early in the season.
You bet he'll be pished of not to have got on the pitch in Oz!

Don't see how we're disagreeing tbh.

Yes every player has off days. Yes Slade is a great talented young player. Yes he should be tried out at the earliest opportunity when he's in better form.

But a critical tour of Australia? Having just come back from months long injury lay off? That's not his time.

England team out. Exactly the same as last week except Harrison for Haskell. Nowell still in despite concussion worries.

Who has concussion worries ? I doubt very much its the England medical team . Did you relay a quote from somewhere/someone or is it just your personal worry?

Who has concussion worries ? I doubt very much its the England medical team . Did you relay a quote from somewhere/someone or is it just your personal worry?

He was reportedly in doubt for selection unless he passed the concussion protocols.

Having passed them I'll happily assume he's safe to play, though he may not have trained fully until recently.

Didn't Brown report headaches long after he'd passed the protocols this 6Ns? Or am I conflating stories.

Don't see how we're disagreeing tbh.

We're not! I'm just disappointed that he's not been given the chance on this tour.
Having said that, EJ wants to win the series 3-0, so changes to the starting XV were going to be minimal, but I would have thought that he may have found a place on the bench for Slade.
But a 3-0 series win in Oz before now would have been unthinkable. Let's hope they do it!

No-one.
These guys are professional sportsmen, not primary schoolers who get a rosetta for turning up.

But even if it's not logical, isn't the mindset of a top sportsman "I am better than him. I should be playing. The coach is a nut job for not giving me a fair crack"? That utter self belief may not make for nice people but it does make for winners.

Goode for one ought to be well hacked off - season of his life and still behind a faltering Brown. And you know what, I suspect anger and frustration is exactly the reaction Jones wants to see, not a bland rational acceptance.

This is next to pointless, but as we're on the topic of the AIs, and there isn't much to discuss about this team as it's the same as last weeks, what team would you like to see put out against Fiji in the AIs (So a team that is basically just experimenting with some questionable players). I'd go for:
1. Genge
2. George
3. Hill
4. Itoje (c)
5. Launchbury
6. Ewers
7. Kvesic
8. Clifford
9. Robson
10. Ford
11. Yarde
12. Slade
13. Daly
14. Wade
15. Nowell (To see how he does there)

16. Hartley
17. Marler
18. Cole
19. Kruis
20. Harrison
21. Care
22. Farrell
23. Te'o

He was reportedly in doubt for selection unless he passed the concussion protocols.

Having passed them I'll happily assume he's safe to play, though he may not have trained fully until recently.

Didn't Brown report headaches long after he'd passed the protocols this 6Ns? Or am I conflating stories.

Apparently he suffered only mild concussion and passed the protocols very quickly ,as reported on mon or tues.
Hence hes been selected, one would seriously assume, without any concerns for his well being.
Toby said he'd been selected DESPITE worries ,and i wanted to know whos worries these were.

Apparently he suffered only mild concussion and passed the protocols very quickly ,as reported on mon or tues.
Hence hes been selected, one would seriously assume, without any concerns for his well being.
Toby said he'd been selected DESPITE concerns ,and i wanted to know whos concerns these were.

Sorry, I should've clarified, by concerns I meant my own and I'm sure many other England and Exeter supporters. Yarde is a more than capable replacement so I don't see the point in risking it. Obviously there's a big argument to be had here about concussion protocols which I don't think we should get into on this thread.

Toby said he'd been selected DESPITE worries ,and i wanted to know whos worries these were.

Define "minor concussion"
Without any concerns by whom

Rugby's return to play protocols are laughable and dangerous. Just trusting that they're good enough in this case because concussion was "mild" and "he's better now" isn't good enough - partly because the former doesn't exist, and partly because the latter is a lie - by definition.
Basically, either it wasn't concussion in the first place; or he shouldn't be playing this week (despite what rugby protocols say)

Last edited:
But even if it's not logical, isn't the mindset of a top sportsman "I am better than him. I should be playing. The coach is a nut job for not giving me a fair crack"? That utter self belief may not make for nice people but it does make for winners.

Goode for one ought to be well hacked off - season of his life and still behind a faltering Brown. And you know what, I suspect anger and frustration is exactly the reaction Jones wants to see, not a bland rational acceptance.

Concerning Goode I expect Eddie has the same concerns the majority of us have . Is he fast enough ? Is he physical enough ? Is he mentally tough enough ? These all flash alarm bells with me when Alex Goode is in the spotlight

How I need an England victory and series whitewash in Australia to cheer me up after last night's events.
Yesterday reminded me that I live alongside 17 million narrow minded bigots, hopefully tomorrow can display the best of what England's all about.
I hope we try to play more rugby, Ben Young's awful box kicks and George Ford's overhit up and unders continually kick possession away. I know we're a better defensive than attacking team, but we need to evolve our attacking game and tomorrow's a great oppurtunity with the series over to do so. A defeat isn't the end of the world so long as we play good expansive rugby.

How I need an England victory and series whitewash in Australia to cheer me up after last night's events.
Yesterday reminded me that I live alongside 17 million narrow minded bigots, hopefully tomorrow can display the best of what England's all about.
I hope we try to play more rugby, Ben Young's awful box kicks and George Ford's overhit up and unders continually kick possession away. I know we're a better defensive than attacking team, but we need to evolve our attacking game and tomorrow's a great oppurtunity with the series over to do so. A defeat isn't the end of the world so long as we play good expansive rugby.

Ignoring the political comments, for which there is a dedicated thread, the rugby played by England in the first two games was enthralling and winning.

Rugby played by slinging the ball around whillynilly is not really rugby at all and you usually do end up losing!

As was said on another thread, you have to earn the right to go wide! You also have to be able to win up front and defend. A side choosing to nullify the other teams strengths has shown great prescience in setting out its tactics and, to effect them properly, great skill.....England did that in spades and certainly shocked me!

Aye lads, keep the politics out of here.

Think the truth on attacking rugby and England's need to play it lies somewhere between the two of you. Can't say I'm expecting a great deal of it though.

As I've said in another thread, in the first test England dos attack well. Throwing the ball wide is not the only way to attack. It's great to watch, and done well it can be terrifying for defences - and Aus did it bloody well in the first test, well enough to score 4 tries.

But they still lost. Partly because of their own bad decisions and poor play in other areas, partly because England also attacked well in a completely different style. We scored 39 points away against a top end tier 1 side, we beat that side despite defending badly. That doesn't happen without good attack.

Yeah and no.

A big part of attacking rugby, imo, is the ability to keep the ball and use it successfully over multiple phases. England haven't shown that. Partly they haven't had a chance. But I'm not sure they're terribly confident in their ability to do so.

Being very clinical on moments of great opportunity is fantastic, but I'd like to see the other part of the equation too.

Yeah true but they got and took opportunities from the ball they had. Maybe if Aus hadn't given away penalties under pressure England would've put more phases together. If your spells of possession are ending repeatedly with kickable penalties then you're doing something right.

I agree that there's a lot to work on, just taking issue with the idea that England are just crap at attack, period.

So lads and laddets, the time is nearly upon us and all that matters now is, are we going to win and seal this deal or not?

I say yes. What say you?