• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 3 - Ireland vs. Russia (03/10/2019)

Lads Carbery is the backup 9. Was well stated before tournament this will happen and Murray wouldn't be in every squad. Sexton I'm sure is fine

Carbery at 9 isn't really anymore of a surprised than Porter at loosehead, he'd definitely have been tried there if fit during the warmups.

Sexton captaining instead O'Mahony is weird though, wonder what the thinking behind it is.

Sexton captaining instead O'Mahony is weird though, wonder what the thinking behind it is.

I'd guess that Schmidt is getting Sexton some captaining experience just in case he's needed for the role later in the tournament. There's no guarantee the way things are going that Best or O'Mahony would start in a knock-out game. Sexton would be the most obvious choice for captain in the scenario that the other two aren't starting.

I doubt it will happen to be honest, but it makes sense to prepare for the possibility during a relatively low risk game like this one.

The Sexton that is starting against Russia is a clone. Joe Schmidt has the real one inside a cryo chamber ready for the quarter finals.

I'm not used to there being such a gap between games, what am I supposed to do to avoid work now?

Imagine a conversation between Alfie and Heaslip - think running my hand through a mangle would be more entertaining

Nice early score, well played. Isn't this the same script as against Japan?

Imagine a conversation between Alfie and Heaslip - think running my hand through a mangle would be more entertaining
Heaslip is great on Irish telly. D'Arcy too who I've seen cop criticism. Don't know if it's the role they're given or if they're used in commentary over there but it doesn't translate here. (Heaslip cops criticism because, along with Kearney, he's the epitome of what @munstermuffin would call "one of them Dublin 4s ;) despite neither being Dubs!)

Ball looks slippy asf.

Turf slippery too. Few games now where players have struggled for footing.

Wowser - come on Ireland... we need you back at the height of your powers again.

I'm seriously scared that Ireland truly peaked pre-world cup when the major powers were building for the world cup and holding back... it seems Ireland went all out.

Too easy there. Having said this, now is Russia's time! Two early tries then Ireland implode.

Latest posts