• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 1] England vs. Australia (19/10/2019)

Outrageously a £5 treble on Australia , France and Ireland would return £335 not bad at all.

England heavily favourites at 3/10 but I don't see it being that wide apart tbh . I wander if this would of been England's second choice pick for the semis after the French.

I wander if this would of been England's second choice pick for the semis after the French.

Not a chance, England vs Australia is our biggest sporting rivalry and we have a better recent record against Aus than France (6-0/8-2 vs 1-0/7-3)

Kerevi and Tuilagi running at each other should be amusing. Battle of the glass cannons. All out attack - rubbish defence.

Starting young JP at 13 seems like a rough move.
Aha, what a weird move for a qf. Let's play someone completely new at centre, because that's an easy position.
Farrell was never going to match against the like of karevi or sbw
this here is probably the reason for the selection, plus not wanting kerevi to run at Ford. I know some people are going to defend the defensive abilities of these players, but kerevi is a different story and it's not just about being able to tackle him, it's about minimising his go forward
Quite an expectable XV apart from a couple of shock inclusions, that may give Australia a bit of an angle.

Now I don't know how accurate this is but I have heard (think it was on a podcast, 'maybe' by an ex-England player) that the pack doesn't scrummage well when Lawes is in at Lock. If that is the case, that could be somewhat pivotal as I think this Ozzie pack are an effective scrummaging unit. Also, I think Kruis is just a better player all around really. If Mako is still struggling at all with his injury/fitness this could also affect this aspect.

I get the Farrell to 10 thing to avoid Kerevi running down his throat but that can and probably will still happen with him at 10 anyway. I think it was more to avoid Kerevi running at Ford than anything. What I did notice about Australia when they played us though is how they attacked the 13 channel. I'm a big Slade fan but he can't be particularly match fit and while I've seen he is a phenomenal attacker, I'm not sure of his defensive capabilities. So that could be interesting.

Apart from those though, it's a strong team and I'd still be surprised if England lost the match. Should be a cracker.
Apparently what I said had already been said. This bushy guy seems onto it

Last edited:
I like Cheika's selection. CL over Foley and taking a wild punt on the young kid at centre. O'Connor and Kurindrani would have been safe choices as they are known quanitiities. As in, known to not be very good. Oodles of talent from 9-15, but I'd have put Hodge at 13 and the new lad on the wing maybe? Wallabies should get 2 tries with this and happy to not see To'omua in the XV.

England sticking to my massively oversimplified and revolutionary formula for success by having at least one flair player who can pass the ball in the backs. Repeat after me. Ford or Slade = got it made :p

England by 21

Exactly how I feel, and I'm English. Well, from the northwest of England.... it's different.

To be fair to both sides, I watch a whole lot more southern hem rugby, as that's the way my fancy is tickled. Hard for me to know just how good England might be, in that regard. Yes, oz have threats. Not sure their front row is up to a great deal. Karevi has been excellent in matches I have seen.

The people I speak to are generally expecting England to romp. These are, in general, not English people. So it's a neutral opinion of sorts. I wish I shared their optimism. England are a side that can lose 15-12 to Ireland, or narrowly beat them, and then beat them by 50 three months later. I think the former, is the side I expect. Tight and predictable. So not much for any side to worry about, from England, that they don't already know. England have not looked flash either at the RWC, fair to say. Oz looked good against Wales, who rather hung on in my opinion.

Agree with an early comment I read that, any of the 8 sides could win their match, and I would consider none to be a major upset. I do think the boks will win comfortably over Japan, having said that.

Now a case of "let the proper rugby begin" as I am at pains to remember many of the pool games I got up to watch in their entirety.
This is no place for fancy tickling.

just hard and straight up the middle for the finales

There's that Swansea education being put to work... lesson one French words introduced to the English language. Soon you'll be going to the toilet instead of the lav :cool:.
Dammit Bushy, now everyone knows that I live in Wales now :(

Last edited:
I'm be watching like 4 hours of rugby coverage.... But this game is a humdinger.. and tbh, I ASSUME England will win here... That Aussie team ain't half bad though... I reckon if they had a NZ coach.. hah.

@bushytop DHP is a quality player reminds me of Ben Tune if you remember him, the biggest issue he has right now is he doesn't seem to back his own ability, he's just been in a little bit of a form slump. He has a good game then has a shocker, once he's settled I assume we'll be seeing a lot more of him.

Latest posts