• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 1] England vs. Australia (19/10/2019)

@bushytop DHP is a quality player reminds me of Ben Tune if you remember him, the biggest issue he has right now is he doesn't seem to back his own ability, he's just been in a little bit of a form slump. He has a good game then has a shocker, once he's settled I assume we'll be seeing a lot more of him.
Interesting analogy to Ben tune. I always thought of Haylett petty as a slow Ben Smith. He has struggled against fast opposition at international level and ended up not knowing how to respond, playing unnaturally. Which is a shame because he is one of the more natural eyes up players in aus.

@bushytop DHP is a quality player reminds me of Ben Tune if you remember him, the biggest issue he has right now is he doesn't seem to back his own ability, he's just been in a little bit of a form slump. He has a good game then has a shocker, once he's settled I assume we'll be seeing a lot more of him.
Fair enough, just seems a safer pair of hands at the back than Beale (to me). I do vaguely remember a Tune, roughly the same era as Roff and Burke et al?

Fair enough, just seems a safer pair of hands at the back than Beale (to me). I do vaguely remember a Tune, roughly the same era as Roff and Burke et al?

Yeah Tune was awesome for the reds, then decent enough for the wallabies as well. Think he debuted really young. Used to score plenty for the reds at Ballymore.

Yeah same era, he started in the year rugby went professional here. Beale offers counter attack (though he rarely does it nowdays) that DHP doesn't seem to have, I would have preferred DHP over Beale but we'll see what happens on saturday.

Interesting analogy to Ben tune. I always thought of Haylett petty as a slow Ben Smith. He has struggled against fast opposition at international level and ended up not knowing how to respond, playing unnaturally. Which is a shame because he is one of the more natural eyes up players in aus.
DHP is more of a Burke without the goal kicking.

I would 100% have him ahead of Beale. He has safer hands, better technique and has been beating more defenders lately. DHP has only had the one bad game against SA which was the first for the year anyway.

Buuuuut it's all moot now. Cheek has gone all guns blazing and picked Beale for his attacking flair and distribution.

DHP is more of a Burke without the goal kicking.

I would 100% have him ahead of Beale. He has safer hands, better technique and has been beating more defenders lately. DHP has only had the one bad game against SA which was the first for the year anyway.

Buuuuut it's all moot now. Cheek has gone all guns blazing and picked Beale for his attacking flair and distribution.
meanwhile, he is looking down solemnly, wishing he could just be his own man.

I would've thought DHP would have been selected ahead of Hodge. But I guess Hodge's massive boot, was the trump card just in case this becomes a penalty orientated game.

I would've thought DHP would have been selected ahead of Hodge. But I guess Hodge's massive boot, was the trump card just in case this becomes a penalty orientated game.
It sounds a lot like the argument sometimes made about Daly, I'm just not convinced that any decent international coach is picking someone based on 3 points he might, maybe, kick. 9 pens in 29 starts for Hodge FYI

I think Hodge got the call for the head to head (well shoulder to shoulder we've all been waiting for)... Farrell vs Hodge: winner gets the 'The Iron Shoulder' (this award is trade marked, other awards are earned separately) :p.

I hope Tupou comes off the bench and wreaks absolute havoc.

DHP is awful on the wing, though. Fullback or nothing.

It sounds a lot like the argument sometimes made about Daly, I'm just not convinced that any decent international coach is picking someone based on 3 points he might, maybe, kick. 9 pens in 29 starts for Hodge FYI

We can see Daly offers way more than that for England. He's not the best traditional fullback, but offers a lot more to his game than his boot

PS I'm aware your stating about coaches and the argument Vs Daly. I'm not digging at you :)

We can see Daly offers way more than that for England. He's not the best traditional fullback, but offers a lot more to his game than his boot :)
Oh yeah I'm not saying that's the only argument for Daly, or for Hodge. But people bring it up like it's a key thing, and it really isn't

Man for man, and going on recent history, we should win this game.

Hhoowweevveerr our lot are mentally fragile so could easily just **** the bed. Australia aren't exactly the strongest, mentally, either but I think they're just erratic regardless of the pressure of the game.

Nervous, but quietly confident.

Latest posts