• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 1] England vs. Australia (19/10/2019)

I've never heard of him playing fullback. He played a season of NRC at 13, a season of Super largely off the bench or wing. Played one half v Uruguay and the whole game v Georgia.

He's the next big thing but, yeah, big risk.
He's looked great on the wing, admittedly against 'lesser' opposition but seems crazy to me.

Either Cheika knows something we don't or...upload_2019-10-17_10-39-35.jpeg
"Rugg...beee!"

If there are question marks around Mako's fitness then starting him was definitely the right call IMO. If he lasts 50 then great, but if he's only got 20 minutes in him then it's better to find that out early and bring on Marler for the rest of the game than to bring Mako off the bench with 30 to go and him be ****ed for the last 10.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Eddie clearly values Farrell's defensive prowess over Ford's attacking capabilities. I can see his point.

Australia do have significant carrying threat and this selection is designed to neuter that. That doesn't mean that all teams carry the same threat or that Eddie values Ford little enough to dispense with him completely (he hasn't). I suspect this is going to be very physical indeed for the first 40-60 minutes. Farrell is teak tough and used to attritional wars as it's what his club success is built around. Either we'll have broken away by 60 minutes in which case Ford can come on to play territory (which he's very good at) or we're chasing the game and he can attempt to weave his magic to get us back in it.

The one I don't get is Slade. He looks great in attack but I've watched him a few time and defensively he's nowhere near the player JJ is. He'll need to be at it on Saturday.

I reckon our best backrow is Kruistoje imo but again I can see some thought in this selection. Lawes is more mobile and will be able to help counter the Pooper threat. He's going to be asked to play his 6 role in the loose. That should allow Undercurry (the other way is too dangerous Cunderhill!) more time to do their thing. Kruis off the bench to continue pummeling doesn't seem a bad option. I just hope Courtney has been informed that this is not the game to go 10 hunting with late / high shots. If he does he'll walk.......

I've never heard of him playing fullback. He played a season of NRC at 13, a season of Super largely off the bench or wing. Played one half v Uruguay and the whole game v Georgia.

He's the next big thing but, yeah, big risk.

Tbf it was just what I read on Wiki. Should be exciting for you guys, or a huge risk. Tuilagi and Slade are seasoned, top quality centres...

Lots of lovely English arrogance here. Jolly good to see.

however:..

Australia just can't be taken for granted. England have not yet shown up tot this World Cup. Pretty conservative performances, lots of injury ****les, and nothing that I would call consistent. The Aussies have the likes of Pooper, Karevi, even Genia can pull some pretty decent stuff out, Taylor Petty is also pretty handy.
England will need to come out firing, aggressive in contact areas, dealing with the Aussie Jackals, and co trolling the tempo. Faz will have to kick all his chances and the decision making will need to be impeccable.
This is by no means a nailed on win for England. They are going to need to fight for it and I expect it to be close.
Exactly how I feel, and I'm English. Well, from the northwest of England.... it's different.

To be fair to both sides, I watch a whole lot more southern hem rugby, as that's the way my fancy is tickled. Hard for me to know just how good England might be, in that regard. Yes, oz have threats. Not sure their front row is up to a great deal. Karevi has been excellent in matches I have seen.

The people I speak to are generally expecting England to romp. These are, in general, not English people. So it's a neutral opinion of sorts. I wish I shared their optimism. England are a side that can lose 15-12 to Ireland, or narrowly beat them, and then beat them by 50 three months later. I think the former, is the side I expect. Tight and predictable. So not much for any side to worry about, from England, that they don't already know. England have not looked flash either at the RWC, fair to say. Oz looked good against Wales, who rather hung on in my opinion.

Agree with an early comment I read that, any of the 8 sides could win their match, and I would consider none to be a major upset. I do think the boks will win comfortably over Japan, having said that.

Now a case of "let the proper rugby begin" as I am at pains to remember many of the pool games I got up to watch in their entirety.

I'm excited about England, but I don't think this is easy. I don't see lots of arrogance on these forums tbh. Not so much more than other unions threads..

Agree with an early comment I read that, any of the 8 sides could win their match, and I would consider none to be a major upset. I do think the boks will win comfortably over Japan, having said that.

Agreed, think each match could go anyway apart from the Boks match, I think they will win comfortably too.

For me I'm fine with the backline. It's essentially the backline that looked so promising in the 6 nations with Watson for Nowell. You've then got JJ to come on and either spark the attack if needed or tighten up the defence. The only real concern is if Slade is fit.

Forwards again I'm mostly fine with, though I agree with most people, that I'd swap Kruis and Lawes. Also agree about Marler and Mako if Mako's still not 100%, but that's stuff we don't know.

Overall it's a strong team that should win. The only danger is what we saw in the 6N's where we let Wales and Scotland come back. This is where we will see if England have turned a corner mentally and can be ruthless for a full 80.

With ford Nd JJ on the bench what are our options? Ford for faz JJ for Slade? Or ford for slsde and JJ for a back 3 player?

With ford Nd JJ on the bench what are our options? Ford for faz JJ for Slade? Or ford for slsde and JJ for a back 3 player?
I think EJ will look to put Slade to 15 with Daly covering wing before he puts JJ into the back three. It's what he did in the Tonga game.

Ford - Farrell - Tuilagi
Ford - Farrell - JJ
Farrell - Tuilagi - JJ
Ford - Farrell - Slade
Ford - Tuilagi - Slade
Ford - Tuilagi - JJ

JJ can also cover wing. Daly can play wing. Watson and Slade can play full back. These are not 'green' players. These are proven class. I'd be more nervous if I was Australian, and there cover at 13.

We've got some proper options :cool:

It's only just occurred to me that this could well be Marler's last cap. I can't see him carrying on in an England shirt after the Cup.

Could be Eddies last game too if we do not win.

Contracts mean little to men in suits if you do not perform.

Let's all have new centre combinations for a playoff game - wicked
Just think the Ausie one will backfire more - read defensive lines and communication - not player ability

Latest posts