• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 1] England vs. Australia (19/10/2019)

What do we make of no wing cover on the bench?

I don't mind JJ being in the 23 because he's been in really good form, but if, say, Watson goes down injured it'll be either Slade to 15 or JJ to 14, which could leave us defensively vulnerable, especially to kicks. I think I'd have had Nowell on the bench.

If this was the first choice 23 all along then it really raises a question over what someone like McConacchie is doing in the squad when there are two wingers ahead of him not getting a game.

Players left out of the 23: Singleton, Genge, Launchbury, Wilson, Francis, Nowell, Cokanasiga, McConacchie.

What do we make of no wing cover on the bench?

I don't mind JJ being in the 23 because he's been in really good form, but if, say, Watson goes down injured it'll be either Slade to 15 or JJ to 14, which could leave us defensively vulnerable, especially to kicks. I think I'd have had Nowell on the bench.

If this was the first choice 23 all along then it really raises a question over what someone like McConacchie is doing in the squad when there are two wingers ahead of him not getting a game.

Players left out of the 23: Singleton, Genge, Launchbury, Wilson, Francis, Nowell, Cokanasiga, McConacchie.

Nowell would have been 14/bench but is injured, hopefully be ok next week.
Joseph @23 is right call for me, bit of a kick in teeth for cokanasinga, but Eng cant afford luxury of defensive naivete. You're right, Mcconnochie? why?

I too can't really fathom Tuilagi at 12 - but Kerevi v Tuilagi should be absolutely epic.

Maybe Mako's been flying in training. But if the others are undercooked he's blue. Maybe Jones is hoping he'll bring out the best in his brother.

I'd have had Kruis / Lawes the other way round, but there are bigger issues to waste my nervous energy on....

...... like the midfield. Just don't get it.

Still don't get Youngs and Daly either, but long since resigned to them.

Ludlam's having the ride of his life, but assume Wilson must be hurt. No real 8 cover, no real back 3 cover. 13 is becoming the new lock, just can't have enough of them.

I too can't really fathom Tuilagi at 12 - but Kerevi v Tuilagi should be absolutely epic.
To be fair this was our 10/12/13 in the six Nations and it worked really well...until it didn't

The issues are that ford is in better form at 10 than Farrell, and Slade is only just back from injury.

I'd have gone Ford/Farrell/Tuilagi, but I can understand why EJ has gone for this

Why why why would we play Ford/Farrell in the warm up games and the pool stages to drop it at the knockouts. This is the same ******* idiocy Lancaster pulled 4 years ago....

If he wanted to play Farrell/Manu/Slade he could of easially played Farrell/Manu/JJ so that arguement in nonsence.

ARGH still think we'll win but **** me I don't need this stress.

Also disagree with not starting Kruis but not enough to have a meltdown over itm

Quite an expectable XV apart from a couple of shock inclusions, that may give Australia a bit of an angle.

Now I don't know how accurate this is but I have heard (think it was on a podcast, 'maybe' by an ex-England player) that the pack doesn't scrummage well when Lawes is in at Lock. If that is the case, that could be somewhat pivotal as I think this Ozzie pack are an effective scrummaging unit. Also, I think Kruis is just a better player all around really. If Mako is still struggling at all with his injury/fitness this could also affect this aspect.

I get the Farrell to 10 thing to avoid Kerevi running down his throat but that can and probably will still happen with him at 10 anyway. I think it was more to avoid Kerevi running at Ford than anything. What I did notice about Australia when they played us though is how they attacked the 13 channel. I'm a big Slade fan but he can't be particularly match fit and while I've seen he is a phenomenal attacker, I'm not sure of his defensive capabilities. So that could be interesting.

Apart from those though, it's a strong team and I'd still be surprised if England lost the match. Should be a cracker.

Is Nowell injured? Looked sharp when he came on againt Argentina. Also from the bench can cover FB, Wing, 13 and flanker.....

My emotions will be running high on Saturday....

but this will be me when Skeen gets involved.

lnRlije.gif

WALLABIES (15-1): Kurtley Beale, Reece Hodge, Jordan Petaia, Samu Kerevi, Marika Koroibete, Christian Lealiifano, Will Genia, Isi Naisarani, Michael Hooper (c), David Pocock, Rory Arnold, Izack Rodda, Allan Alaalatoa, Tolu Latu, Scott Sio

Reserves: Jordan Uelese, James Slipper, Taniela Tupou, Adam Coleman, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Nic White, Matt To'omua, James O'Connor

Aussies throwing the young lad on the wing. Most Aussies don't really like Beale at FB.

Wait isn't Koroibete a winger?

EJ has shown his hand for the knock out games and I think that this is what he thinks his strongest line up is.
I would have put Marler in from the off as I think he has been outstanding so far and MV as a finisher. Also Marler »s scrummaging is better.
Quite relaxed with the Lawes selection - Kruis gives you more in the kind out plus set piece but Lawes is very competitive at the breakdown which is where this game will be won or lost.
A combination of Curry+Underhill+Itoje+Lawes should put pressure on the Pooper axis and slow Australian ball down.
Backs wise I agree with putting Farrel at 10 - Kerevi is going to be targeting that channel directly and we know that Farrell will stand up And be counted .
Tuilagi v Kerevi should trigger a few earthquakes but I like Slade's return at 13 and JJ has always given the Aussies trouble through his line speed and interceptions.
Make no mistake this is gonna be a hell of a scrap against a Cheika team desperate to win and who will put up a fight. I think England's plan will revolve around territory , pressure building and squeezing the Aussies through first up tackling- and I don't expect a pretty game . Close, hard fought scrap but England to win by 5 as our superior bench makes the difference.
yes we have won the last 6 but a lot of this games were close run affairs

Played the last 10 years as an inside and outside centre.... Which considering he's like 19 or 20 is like half his life.
Fair enough but pretty big game to try him there at an international level. Although I've liked what I've seen of him so far, I've though the Ozzie midfield of Kerevi and O'Connor has been pretty good. I also rate Kuridrani too.

Also what's happened to DHP, he was great against us?

I said earlier in the thread that we should win by 10. I sort of stand by that, but having seen the selection it looks like an Eng team that could either get it very right or very wrong.

I really hope Jones hasn't gambled on Mako and Slade's fitness. They'll both be rusty through having played so little which isn't great in itself but hopefully they are properly over their injuries.

This could be the day when Cunderhill announces itself to the world. Or it could be the day Jones is made to look an idiot. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and we've gone straight down the Pooper route, the trouble being that we're up against the original. We should have the legs, but they've got the nous - 180 caps vs 29. If Cunderhill can get parity or better then we're really in business, but there is a possibility that they'll really get schooled and if they are we're in trouble.

This isn't Tonga or the USA any more. This is knockout, no second chance, rugby. That changes mindsets and introduces extra pressure. Half the battle will between the ears.

And Binny, here's an invite to come to the party. RSVP.

Am I the only one thinking that Australia actually has a chance here??

Ford not starting for England, while Australia brings in their secret weapon who has been hyped up a lot on social media.

Reece Hodge has the chance to become the first player to get 2 red cards in the same world cup... Hope he knows now about the laws...

Am I the only one thinking that Australia actually has a chance here??
They certainly have a chance but Australia really haven't had the wood over us in year you have to go back a decade when Australian sides got a run on England. Since then it's been all us.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rugby_union_matches_between_Australia_and_England

Interestingly we've beaten them every time since the last world cup. I'm not saying Australia can't beat England but in their present state and run of results. It's not a side England should be up against and not being confident of a win.