• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 1] England vs. Australia (19/10/2019)

Not a case of complacency. The question mark is over mental hardness, particularly the ability to manage a game when the flow starts going against them.

Bit like Andy Murray in the old days. Ultra competitive and then his head would go and he'd lose 8 games in a row and the match would either be gone or a lot more difficult than it should have been.

For me, that's the missing piece of the jigsaw. And that mental toughness was why Jones put a lot of faith in the early days in the likes of Brown and Hartley.

I think in hindsight we may have actually missed Hartley more than we first thought. England in the early years weren't great but they were very tough and difficult to beat. They always fought right to the end. Now? I'd say the best England can produce now would beat the best we could do in 2016 but we are just as likely to perform awfully.

Was supposed to be an age verification check on all websites. However coincidentally this just appeared on the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50073102

giphy.gif

Not a case of complacency. The question mark is over mental hardness, particularly the ability to manage a game when the flow starts going against them.

Bit like Andy Murray in the old days. Ultra competitive and then his head would go and he'd lose 8 games in a row and the match would either be gone or a lot more difficult than it should have been.

For me, that's the missing piece of the jigsaw. And that mental toughness was why Jones put a lot of faith in the early days in the likes of Brown and Hartley.
The man speaks a lot of wisdom. We are good enough to beat anyone but I can't see us maintaining the right mentality through 240 minutes of knock out rugby.

I don't think it will be Australia to knock us out though, fingers crossed
Mentally they had momentum during their 18 odd consecutive victories a few years ago. I feel like they have some of that momentum now. Dominance in the warm ups would have helped, as would having key players back who had been part of previous successes -Tuilagi, Vunipola, and back to the Ford Farrell axis.

I'm not sure the Scotland game was much more than complacency. The springboks games were without those key players and combos , while starting to trial and developnew loosies.

Tuilagi is set for a nightmare of a night with Kerevi at 12 and Petaia at 13.

Tuilagi is set for a nightmare of a night with Kerevi at 12 and Petaia at 13.
Kerevi and Tuilagi running at each other should be amusing. Battle of the glass cannons. All out attack - rubbish defence.

Starting young JP at 13 seems like a rough move.

Kerevi and Tuilagi running at each other should be amusing. Battle of the glass cannons. All out attack - rubbish defence.

Starting young JP at 13 seems like a rough move.

Master stroke from Chieka, JP has played most of his rugby at 13. The wallabies games until now have been a ruse to lull teams into thinking we suck. You watch as we romp through to a RWC final.

Master stroke from Chieka, JP has played most of his rugby at 13. The wallabies games until now have been a ruse to lull teams into thinking we suck. You watch as we romp through to a RWC final.
I hope you are right but I suspect you are delusional.

Is Slade any good? I've not seen much of him for England, and the little I have seen he has looked ok without amazing me. But must be good to unseat the Ford/Farrell combo

Thats a damn strong team...

Dammit I wish Daily was from SA. My favorite player in the ENG team by far.

I don't understand why EJ would play Ford at 10 for the pool matches and then drop him to the bench. Still, think England play better with him at 10 and Farrell at 12, with Tuilagi giving the power at 13.

I don't understand why EJ would play Ford at 10 for the pool matches and then drop him to the bench. Still, think England play better with him at 10 and Farrell at 12, with Tuilagi giving the power at 13.

Probably because his first choices weren't available to him , ie Slade.
This was always going to be his first choice line up as proven in 6N.
In reality ,the pool matches didnt really matter regarding playing full side.

Quite surprised with that midfield tbh. Manu isn't a 12 and Ford's form has been vert good while Farrell's hasn't by his high standards. Think Lawes starting over Kruis is also a bit of a surprise but would suggest Jones wants to up the pace and bosh. Think Australia could be outmuscled and their back line isn't settled.

Latest posts