• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 1] England vs. Australia (19/10/2019)

It was a lot of dislikes, he was a very angry man.
Yeah, I was not online that... Sunday night(?) from memory but I found the thread/carnage the following morning and it was really entertaining to be fair. I actually really enjoy these aggressive first-timers, I mean I understand them getting banned but they provide much enjoyment.

Stumbled upon this earlier... no way near the entertainment I was expecting/hoping for :(.

Yeah, it was a bit disappointing. Thought Cheika was gonna properly lay into all the reporters who peeved him off, but sadly he kept his cool quite well.

Impressive from the English this morning, very clinical particularly in the last quarter but Australia, gracious me that was the worst that I can ever remember having seen them play. Sometimes a philosophy can get in the way of performing. I think it happened with Scotland this year and to an even greater extent with Australia. I mean bloody hell we all like watching running rugby but you don't cut off your nose to spite your face. I hope that rugby union will survive this in Australia, they have been great competition over the decades but they simply have to start employing some structure. What is it with rugby nations having an aversion to structure? The All Blacks, who play fantastic rugby by the way, kick away any poor possession for territory rather than play themselves into a hole. It just makes no sense to me. Anyway congratulations to the English, you definitely did what you needed to but jee whiz you won't have it so easy next week. Not to say you can't win but that today was just crazy.

Curry again MOTM, how many of those has he had in last 2 years now? Has he even had a bad game for England yet, feels like he's always one of the top 3 players in every game he plays.

A few observations. Obviously I'm chuffed to bits and will happily take a moment to indulge my arrogance.

1) This is exactly how we beat Aus in Aus in 2016. Kick deep, absorb as much pressure as possible by rushing the support runners. Defend like buggery and wait for the mistake as the Wallabies throw something desperate. The fact that Chieka hasn't adapted to this at all is very typical of him and this was the result. Australia have become a very predictable side.

2) England's pack were absolutely relentless, Curry especially but the tackle stats for just about all of them are off the charts. It vindicates the decision to pick Lawes ahead of Kruius even though that significantly damages our scrum. The scrum was looking pretty vulnerable early on but they just about clung on while taking advantage of Courtney's speed in defense. I expect England to play completely differently in the semi and so I expect Kruis to be back and shore up the set piece.

3) Farrell's pass to put Sinckler through for the try made me shed a tear it was so good. It deserves a sonnet

4) After all the pre-match doomsaying, Garces was completely fine. Skeen not so much, but you can't have everything. I'm surprised he didn't intervene to discuss the tip tackle on Vunipola in the first half.

Thankfully we seem to be moving away from incessant going nowhere recycling for the sake of having possession, but....

......36% possession against a dumb Aus is one thing. 36% against the ABs will kill us.

Thankfully we seem to be moving away from incessant going nowhere recycling for the sake of having possession, but....

......36% possession against a dumb Aus is one thing. 36% against the ABs will kill us.

I think we'll play different tactics though. It's clear that England were happy straight to Australia and let them run at them. I can see more tactical kicking against NZ with a bit more attacking play to open up spaces behind.

I can see us booting it straight to their back 3. We've been doing it consistently now for what seems like years. It's about trusting the defensive system. Personally I think when it comes unstuck it'll be a horror show. I suspect that All Blacks will love having the ball so we should do everything in our power to deny it to them.

As well as skillful today, the All Blacks were brutal in contact and basically the Irish couldn't handle it. I suspect the same back-line will start (if May is fit). So that's no Ford starting. Kruis will be brought in at lock to try and counter what Whitelock and Retallick bring (loads).

Interestingly England play a slightly different defensive system to both Ireland and Wales. It's a more considered pressure defence. I don't think it'll be as easy to play around as the Irish one was. Maybe......

England will have to play out of their skins to win this one. I hope they do.

We do defend very narrow, though - if they get it wide (and it's the all blacks, so they will) I don't fancy Daly vs their wingers in open space

yeah, but Underhill and Curry will have to play like they did today. Tackle everything that moves, try and disrupt the rucks and give your backs enough to time to fan out. That's the only way to get them a bit on the back foot.

Ireland's biggest downfall today was they didn't police the rucks. And Smith had a party all around those rucks.

This. A hundred times this.

yeah, but Underhill and Curry will have to play like they did today. Tackle everything that moves, try and disrupt the rucks and give your backs enough to time to fan out. That's the only way to get them a bit on the back foot.

Ireland's biggest downfall today was they didn't police the rucks. And Smith had a party all around those rucks.
That's fair,
Curry is usually pretty good at keeping 9s on their toes (probably comes from a few seasons of training with Faf, who, for his faults, is one of the best at punishing lazy guards)

Yeah, I was not online that... Sunday night(?) from memory but I found the thread/carnage the following morning and it was really entertaining to be fair. I actually really enjoy these aggressive first-timers, I mean I understand them getting banned but they provide much enjoyment.
Fair to say it's the only time I'm getting close to the top of any of these lists!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190901-212913_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190901-212913_Chrome.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 27
You can't get that implemented?
Your powers are weak, old man
c4a.gif

I'm a web developer in my day job as well, so you'd have thought it'd be within my remit...yet here we are