• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 1] England vs. Australia (19/10/2019)

They certainly have a chance but Australia really haven't had the wood over us in year you have to go back a decade when Australian sides got a run on England. Since then it's been all us.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rugby_union_matches_between_Australia_and_England

Interestingly we've beaten them every time since the last world cup. I'm not saying Australia can't beat England but in their present state and run of results. It's not a side England should be up against and not being confident of a win.

Neutral Ground, World Cup Pressure, unknown rookie... All factors that can change the tide.

But I have a sneaking suspicion a red card will appear in this game and tip the scales.

I said earlier in the thread that we should win by 10. I sort of stand by that, but having seen the selection it looks like an Eng team that could either get it very right or very wrong.

I really hope Jones hasn't gambled on Mako and Slade's fitness. They'll both be rusty through having played so little which isn't great in itself but hopefully they are properly over their injuries.

This could be the day when Cunderhill announces itself to the world. Or it could be the day Jones is made to look an idiot. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and we've gone straight down the Pooper route, the trouble being that we're up against the original. We should have the legs, but they've got the nous - 180 caps vs 29. If Cunderhill can get parity or better then we're really in business, but there is a possibility that they'll really get schooled and if they are we're in trouble.

This isn't Tonga or the USA any more. This is knockout, no second chance, rugby. That changes mindsets and introduces extra pressure. Half the battle will between the ears.

And Binny, here's an invite to come to the party. RSVP.

Lol, saying that out loud could come out so wrong.:D

Red cards used to be so rare in rugby, simple rule is don't give the Ref/TMO an opportunity to red card you.

Now, with the preface that I'm not a regular super rugby viewer so am by no means an expert on Aussie teams, I have to say that to me that Wallabies line-up looks potentially very exciting, looking forward to seeing what this new fella in the centres is all about as I haven't seen him play before. Between this and JPN/RSA we're in for one hell of a weekend of rugby. Can't wait. But I really hope (uneccessary) cards don't spoil it.

A couple of fairly surprising selections from both coaches for this match, which I suppose evens it out to how balanced the match would have been if the coaches had picked what I would assume to be the absolute best teams. Ford has looked top class so far but if Jones is not going to select him when things get serious what does that say to the guy, it can't be good for his confidence that's for sure. Similarly O'Connor had looked to nail down the thirteen shirt but again when things get serious a Randwick man randomly changes things up.

like most people I feel England are favourites but I do feel that this could well end up being the closest contest of the weekend and am probably looking forward to this most as a neutral.

He's a 13 by trade and that's his future but it's certainly a risk playing him there in this game
Yeah @Woldog mentioned that, as you say though it's a bit strange to give him the shirt for this one. He has something about him though, I'll give him that.

Didn't JOC say that his preferred position is 12, so in future Australia sides we'll have JOC 12 and JP 13?

Seems a bit odd dropping JOC as I've been impressed by his since his return.

Ford must be gutted, but why have warm up games and easy pool games playing Ford at 10, then the first real contest we face Eddie changes it???? - Is this the time to be mixing it up?

Kris for Lawes and that's the England team that would worry me the most playing anyone. I don't think Aussie have a prayer to be honest.
The more people say this the more comfortable I feel. A) it takes all the pressure and expectation off us b) strayans love an underdog role. C) if we actually put together an 80 minute performance we can beat the All Blacks - So it's not impossible.

The more people say this the more comfortable I feel. A) it takes all the pressure and expectation off us b) strayans love an underdog role. C) if we actually put together an 80 minute performance we can beat the All Blacks - So it's not impossible.
Yeah that's fair, I'm hoping for similar in the Ireland game so definitely wouldn't put you down for it! Hope your right too.

That's IF a guy like Lawes plays like Scott Barrett...

The only change I would make is Kruis / Itoje. Ignoring Nowell, Wilson if they are injured.

No problems with the backs, Slades a fantastic 13, a great runner, wonderful pass and has a lot of game nous. Similar to Vs Ireland in the 6N we will play a lot of left and right depending on Farrell, with Slade as first receiver. Tuilagi as much as a decoy, and will no doubt pop up in the 13 channel lots to run at the young Australian playing there. Farrell also plays a lot of intense KO rugby for Sarries. His mindset should be strong, and he's back at 10. Expect a big game from him.

We're not playing 9-10-12-13 rugby, I said it during the 6N and I'll say it again now. Yes, it went wrong with game management, but we know how to identify that now and hopefully we've learnt.

I feel for Ford, as I think hes been our stand out player so far, and would have no problem with the Ford, Farrell axis either, but he's on the bench and he will come on, and with JJ too we've got exciting options to change the game if we need to. Lack of wing cover is a concern, but we've got players with pace and skill and intelligence. So I'm not going to cry about it.

And, despite folk saying this is Lancaster esq, messing around with our back line, this has been EJs go to since the start of the year. This isn't new, and its not a surprise.

Not sure about the Aussie line up, exciting too I guess :/

Also, we're not dropping Ford for a Burgess and Barritt midfield this time :D

Love the team but am worried at the same time, least ford faz manu slade isnt a new combo and we know its a strong fast attacking one that should get the wingers in the game. This is why we needed the France game though to play this team amd get some minutes in.

Lawes itoje i dont like. As much as lawes and underhil both breaking the Aussies id rather itoje kruis for the bulk. But still i think we should have this.

He's a 13 by trade and that's his future but it's certainly a risk playing him there in this game

I've read he's played most his time at FB. Played 45 minutes of international rugby (vs Uruguay) and then 'rested'

He must be a hell of a secret weapon :D :D It's an exciting risk by the Aussies. Are you happy, or nervous with his selection?

I've read he's played most his time at FB. Played 45 minutes of international rugby (vs Uruguay) and then 'rested'

He must be a hell of a secret weapon :D :D It's an exciting risk by the Aussies. Are you happy, or nervous with his selection?
I've never heard of him playing fullback. He played a season of NRC at 13, a season of Super largely off the bench or wing. Played one half v Uruguay and the whole game v Georgia.

He's the next big thing but, yeah, big risk.

Latest posts